Sunday, April 7, 2013

Festival of Colors

Those longtime followers of Disconcertingly Choppy - both of you - may remember that I held my own "Festival of Froot Loops" about this time a year ago. The objective in doing so was to try to achieve the same effect as many of my friends and colleagues have by attending the annual Festival of Colors - namely, to get extremely messy and dirty and get all sorts of bright, powdery colors all over myself. So, I crushed up a box of Froot Loops and dumped the contents onto my head.

Looking back on things, I think I nearly achieved my goal.

At any rate, a week ago I was invited by Emily to join her and a group of her friends in attending the actual Festival of Colors, which is held on the grounds of the hare krishna temple in Spanish Fork. The purpose of this festival is to celebrate both the end of winter and the arrival of spring. Its larger purpose, however, is, as I believe I had correctly assumed a year ago, to get people as dirty and messy and colorful as possible.

Once again, I think that goal was met.

Here is the "before" picture of the group:


And here is the "after" shot:


We even took individual head shots. Here is mine:


I think it looks even cooler with the mustache.

Thousands of LDS folks, getting culture with the hare krishnas - that's basically what it boiled down to. I also got a mouthful of colored corn starch, which does not at all fall on the "delicious" side of the food spectrum.

While I don't think I'll necessarily be attending the Festival of Colors on a yearly basis, I am glad that I went and that I can now check it off of my Bucket List.

No comments: