Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ten Chick Flicks That Don't Stink

After further consideration, I may have spoken somewhat out of turn in my previous post. That's the first time that's ever happened, right?

Anybody? (sound of crickets chirping)

For one thing, I didn't take into account a few fine adaptations of Jane Austen works. I also took a gander at the DVDs on my shelf, and I realized that I own more than one of what may certainly be termed a "chick flick."

So, I now present to you my top ten list of Chick Flicks That Don't Stink:

10. Sabrina I don't care what she did to her hair! Julia Ormond is great in the title role.

9. Enchanted An instant classic.

8. The Shop around the Corner This 1940 Jimmy Stewart film is the source material for You've Got Mail.

7. Pride & Prejudice I'll go with the 2005 version, which is worth watching not for Keira Knightley but for Rosamund Pike (Jane). If I had left this one off of the list, my credibility would have been forever lost with a few dozen females I know.

6. Anna and the King This surprisingly good Jodie Foster/Chow-Yun Fat version of the Anna Leonowens story is my favorite.

5. Charly
Admit it; you cried at the end. So did I.

4. Sense & Sensibility The Oscar-winning 1995 version gets my vote for best Jane Austen adaptation on this list.

3. The Young Victoria It's a still-relatively new favorite, but I will probably watch this one a few more times in years to come.

2. Shall We Dance? Forget the far-inferior Jennifer Lopez remake; the 1996 Japanese original is an infinitely better film.

1. The Princess Bride This choice is a no-brainer.

Honorable mention: Bright Star; Disney's Cinderella; Emma (the 2009 mini-series edges out the 1996 Gwyneth Paltrow version); His Girl Friday; Return to Me; Steel Magnolias; Tangled; A Walk to Remember; You've Got Mail

No comments: