Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My Dinner with Jenna

Last Friday, it was my niece Jenna's eighth birthday, and, ergo, it was her turn for the latest birthday dinner and shopping trip outing with Uncle Paco.

Earlier tonight, I took Jenna out for a lavish dinner at McDonald’s. Lest you think me a cheapskate - and it wouldn't be the first time someone has had that thought - keep in mind that the kids get to pick where they want to eat.

Jenna's meal included chocolate milk (I didn't know you could get that at McDonald's, but it is apparently now a Happy Meal option) and Chicken McNuggets. I hadn't come into that close of contact with McNuggets since last year's failed attempt at winning the "McNuggets Challenge" (downing 50 McNuggets in one sitting), and it appears that I still have no desire whatsoever to eat another McNugget ever again.


At any rate, after dinner, we headed over to Target so that Jenna could pick out her own birthday gift, and she ended up choosing a couple of Zoobles - whatever those are. (Her mother assures me that they are the "in" thing right now.)

She didn’t say much throughout the evening, but then again, I don't know too many eight-year-olds who will necessarily talk your ears off. Plus, I'm betting Jenna's mind was on her family's impending trip to San Diego, for which they will be leaving early in the morning.

I enjoyed my evening out with the birthday girl, and we're looking forward to big events for her in the near future, such as her upcoming baptism into the Church.

No comments: